Sunday, June 23, 2013

I pulled up my big girl panties all by myself!

So my last full day in Copenhagen I awoke happy and ready to take on the challenges of a foreign city all by my big bad self. I had pulled up my big girl panties the night before and decided I was ready to tackle this lonesome adventure the best way possible, with excitement in my heart. I would say a bounce in my step too, but hell no...not that. My feet were KILLING me. But that wasn't going to stop me.

I stopped at the local Irma for a banana (something I've been eating regularly here) on my way to the bus stop and what did I hear? English! Not just English, but American English. I started talking to the 3 people there and they are all from Michigan. Imagine that. A little quiet street in the immigrant neighborhood of Nørrebro and there are 3 Americans. Two were visiting, the third was an ex-pat living there now. I knew then that it would be an amazing day. I had gotten over this bout of homesickness and was excited to have most of the day to myself to just go where I wanted, sit when I wanted, drink coffee when I wanted, and just enjoy the city.

I actually figured out the bus on my own and ended up very close to where I wanted to start; the Round Tower. The Round Tower is just that...a tower that is round in the city center of Copenhagen. Really kind of interesting actually. I quite enjoyed it and the view from the top.
Round Tower climb about to begin. (Not hard at all, just very...round.)
Following the Round Tower Mak contacted me. Honestly, I was kind of hoping he'd take longer. I was actually enjoying my day alone. So I met up with him in the neighborhood of Christiania. I went to the Church of our Saviour before exploring with Mak. I did climb the steeple to the top.
The last photo is of the stairs I climbed outside. (Inside stairs were crazy too. I wish I'd gotten pictures. Tiny little steep wooden stairs.) Mak then took me to see Christiania for real; the tiny little neighborhood that is a law unto itself...the Green Light District. Unfortunately I only have photos from just outside of it. They do not allow photography at all. Otherwise you'd see photos of eclectic little houses with murals on them, cool bars, and people smoking joints EVERYWHERE. But here are the pictures I could take.
We drank some Christiania beer that you can only get in that neighborhood and walked the dirt trails through the woods, cool houses, and past the lake. Finally we got lunch back in the city center at Shawarma and got Shawarma sandwiches...wow were they fantastic! I think I'm in love with Copenhagen! Such a vibrant city.

No comments:

Post a Comment