Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Auf Wiedersehen Berlin

Berlin is the first city I really explored on my own. Sure, one day I took a free walking tour to find historical places, and yeah, I explored with a hostel friend after the tour…but other than that I was on my own. I’m learning to navigate Europe in different languages. It’s still difficult but getting easier.

Exploring on my own has its advantages and disadvantages. The advantages are doing things on my own schedule, taking pictures when I want, eating when I want, resting when I want, walking fast, walking slow, because I want to. It’s getting lost and discovering Oranienburger Straße with all the bars, restaurants, clubs, hookers, and a piece of Berlin history that I never knew existed. It’s wandering through eastern Berlin trying to find the wall and seeing dirty streets, youth that appear to be homeless sitting under a tree, seeing the clean side of Berlin with embassies, parliament, the hotel Michael Jackson hung his kid out of, the funky Mitte where I stayed with its youthful culture, shops, restaurants, bars, finding tree lined canals, and seeing the funny German crossing men for pedestrians. (They have little hats on them…they’re great.)

(Recognize this hotel? Think Michael Jackson.)
(Holocaust Memorial)
(Communist mural to show the East how great their life will be under communist rule vs. capitalist rule)
(Photograph of the 250 protesters that were murdered for demanding better wages after they were told they had to work harder and more hours under communist rule)
(The last two pictures are of the book burning memorial. The quote is "Where they have burned books, they will end in burning human beings.")

This disadvantages are that when my bank blocks my CC and I’m trying to pay for lodging I don’t have a partner to loan me money until I can find a cash exchange and fix my CC. I don’t get to hug another human regularly. It means that getting lost regularly results in missed sites I really would have liked to see.

But all in all, I’m learning how this all works and really starting to enjoy myself. I’m starting to appreciate my wander around Europe for what it is, a wander around Europe. Are there things I wish I’d seen? Absolutely. Can I come back again and see them? Most likely. (Given that they’re still around when I return.)

This trip is turning out to be everything I hoped it would be and was afraid I wouldn’t experience during my sad day in Copenhagen. All it took was an understanding that I’m definitely a stranger in a strange land and that’s OK. That’s part of the whole experience. I don’t speak the languages; I have to analyze my money before I pay…and when I get change. (Who wants to be short changed just for being a tourist?) I have to figure out strange city maps, bus maps, metro maps, find my way through train stations, make sure I’m on right train, find foot cream, lose said foot cream, find a restaurant, order, figure out if I have to tip or not, and so many other things. It’s scary, it’s daunting, it’s exciting, it’s learning, and growing. It’s traveling, it’s an adventure and it’s fun! I’m excited for all these same adventures in new cities over the next few weeks. Now I’m on my first train to another country and this experience is fun too! I get to see the German and Czech country sides, meet some Colombians who are going to see Prague with me, realize there are Mexicans sitting with us as well, and seeing that I can understand other languages. It may only be Spanish, but it brings comfort.

So Auf Wiedersehen for now Germany, I will see you again in a few days, this time in your southern mountains and hello Prague. I still remember how to say “Give me beer” in Czech, so that should come in handy. Here’s to another 22 days of adventures of Agent S.

No comments:

Post a Comment